Pindara Chronic Pain Rehabilitation Unit
Pindara Private Hospital has opened a new 11 bed chronic pain unit offering a supportive and caring inpatient service to help patients living with chronic pain regain a level of comfort and function in their lives.
The Chronic Pain Rehabilitation Unit provides a structured, supportive and caring program tailored to the individual needs of three 3 main groups of chronic pain patients:
- Those presenting with an acute onset or spike in their chronic pain;
- Those living with age related degeneration and/or post-operative pain
- Those whose cause of pain is indeterminate.
The program focuses on reconditioning and developing coping strategies in the patient to restore confidence and the individual’s capacity to live and function independently.
Treatment targets the multiple needs of chronic pain patient and is provided by a team of pain specialists, pharmacists, nurses, physical therapists, dieticians and occupational therapists.
Pain specialists and rehabilitation consultants work closely with all Allied Health services, including physiotherapy, occupational therapy, and exercise physiology to ensure a tailored service is provided to each individual.
- Where indicated, specialist pain physicians administer nerve stimulator treatments, ketamine infusions and other analgesic programs.
- Physiotherapy and occupational therapists work through a structured program to help patients regain mobility, strength, endurance, and flexibility.
- Experienced nursing staff, who understand the special needs of their patients, provide a calm, caring and quiet service to help patients regulate their stress response.
The Pindara program offers group and individual management programs to target the individual’s condition:
- Daily Physiotherapy group class and individual sessions as appropriate
- Daily Chronic Pain Nurse / Dietician / Occupational Therapist group sessions – eg relaxation, coping skills, nutrition, activities of daily living, overcoming social problems
- Medication management / education
Worksafe, TAC, DVA and private individuals are accepted pending a medical referral and approval by the relevant health fund.